Welcome Aboard!

Today was the first real day of life as a liveaboard on Bojangles – and my back is killing me.

A week and a half ago, we frantically moved our belongings out of our house in advance of our tenants moving in – then we dumped a ton of boxes on the boat before heading for the airport and a flight to Winnipeg to spend some time at the Kilgour family cottage.

Yesterday, we arrived back in Toronto (sans Mitchell who stayed behind for an extended visit) and then drove tentatively to the boat to determine whether there was room amongst the boxes for the four of us to sleep.  A quick reconnaissance confirmed that the boxes had won the day and we’d need to arrange alternate accommodations.

A quick call to the Duecks and it was decided that the girls could sleep there and that Kathleen, Colin and Rio would brave the boxes and assorted other jetsam on Bojangles.  We dropped the girls at the Duecks, had a quick dinner at a local Italian restaurant and then returned to the boat to try to carve out a place to sleep.

We managed to clear enough space in the V-berth for the 3 of us (Rio would not be denied) and had a good night’s sleep on board.

Today, we bid farewell to the girls – who are off on a camping trip with the Duecks – and then returned to the boat to begin the battle of the boxes.  (For those unaccustomed to boating and living aboard a boat, picture yourself filling a van with all your possessions, then, instead of moving them to a new house, you move them into an apartment about 10% of the size of your house.  There are a LOT of boxes to clear out here!)

We spent the day unloading boxes, getting rid of trash, organizing and the like and at today’s pace – which I thought was pretty good – we should be moved in an organized within another day or two and then we can begin work on the remaining projects that need to be completed before we take off on September 8 (or so).

A bit of bad news… We had arranged to have a contractor reconfigure our fridge as a dual compartment freezer and fridge while we were away, but it seems the project has taken longer than anticipated and when we arrived back on board, there was only a big hole where our fridge used to be.  Hopefully this will get rectified in the next few days… I’m worried though that it won’t and we’ll be living out of a Koolatron for longer than we’d like.

To end the day, at about 7:30pm I made a run to the grocery store to pick up some food to barbecue for dinner.  I came home, had sparkles with Kathleen (‘Sparkles’ – in the Kilgour lexicon – refers to that time of day, typically around 1700, when the sun is at a certain angle where it creates sparkles on the water.  It is at that time, that we stop what we’re doing and enjoy a cold beverage and savoury snack prior to dinner).  We were nearing the end of sparkles and I was about to light the barbecue when I noticed a nasty storm rolling in.  The sky became a purply-grey and we quickly closed up the boat and retreated below before the heavens opened in earnest.  There was lightning everywhere, torrential rain, and 25 knots of wind where 5 minutes earlier it had been calm.  The good news is that in this torrent, the boat did not leak and we were also able to monitor the wind conditions outside using the newly installed Raymarine ST60 multi on our navigation station.

During the storm, we cooked our dinner down below, and enjoyed a nice dinner with a nice bottle of Malbec.  And the boat stayed dry (small victory!)

Tomorrow… more boxes… and Colin returns to work after a week away.


Leave a Reply